To work in Taiwan as a foreigner, you must first apply for a work visa. The following are tips for the relevant procedures:

How to apply for a work visa

Step 1: You will need a signed employment contract between you and your employer 

Step 2: Your employer will need to submit the work permit application to the Ministry of Labor of Taiwan

Step 3: Once approved, the Ministry of Labor will issue you an employment permit

Step 4: If you are currently outside of Taiwan, you should apply for a Resident Visa at your nearest ROC’s representative office before entering Taiwan. Once you’ve entered Taiwan, you will need to apply for a residence permit with the National Immigration Agency (MOI).

If you are already in Taiwan with a Resident Visa, You can contact your nearest MOI (Field office Application For Domestic All Service Points) about the alien residence permit application procedure.

*If you are already in Taiwan on a Visitor Visa, you should contact the Bureau of Consular Affairs, MOFA to apply for a Resident Visa after you receive the work permit. 

** If you entered Taiwan without a visa or with a Landing Visa, you will need to leave Taiwan to apply for a Resident Visa. For detailed information, visit The section “Taiwan Visas” also has further information on visas

What documents are required if I want to work in Taiwan?

  1. Recruitment permission.
  2. A health check-up report issued within the last 3 months by a hospital approved by the Ministry of Health and Welfare in Taiwan, or a designated hospital.
  3. Proof of expertise. 
  4. Proof to show evidence of no criminal record in your country. However, those who re-enter the country within 30 days after leaving the country are exempted.
  5. Foreign worker’s affidavit for wage/salary and expenses incurred before entering the Republic of China for employment.
  6. The signed employment contract.
  7. Declaration Statement that you (the foreigner) are aware of the relevant work regulations of the law.

Are you a freelance art performer and want to come to Taitung to share your creativity? 

Whether your artistry is in music, painting, dance, performance, etc. As long as you meet the relevant qualifications, you can apply with the Ministry of Labor with the consultation of the Ministry of Culture for entry. You can stay and work once you’ve received a review and approval.

Do you have specialized knowledge and skills in foreign languages skills, and would like to teach in Taitung?

If you want to become a school teacher, you need to submit relevant qualification certificates to the Ministry of Education for approval. For details, please see here;

If you want to become a foreign language tutor, you need to have a certified language teacher training certificate, and the language courses you teach need to be  in the official language of your nationality on your passport. Please see here for details;

Are you a sports coach or athlete and want to work in Taitung?

If you are a sports coach, you need to provide a sports coach certificate issued by your country, and you need to have been a coach for more than two years of coaching experience. For details, please see here;

You will need to be an athlete who has represented your country in international or national sports competitions. In addition, you must have more than one year’s relevant sports experience and the recommendation of the National (Global) Individual Sports Committee of your country, please see here for details.

Are you a professional/specialist and want to work in Taitung?

If you are engaged in specialized or technical work, you can refer to the relevant web-pages of the Ministry of Labor to learn about various qualifications and application procedures.

Are you a student and want to do part-time in Taitung?

Overseas Compatriot students who come to Taiwan for formal admission and study at undergraduate and graduate schools can apply to the Ministry of Labor to work part-time after enrollment. However, Overseas Compatriot students who come to Taiwan to take language courses must complete one year in Taiwan before they can apply to work part-time. The maximum hours allowed per week is 20 hours, though this does not apply to summer/winter breaks.  For more information about working in Taiwan, please click here.