Geography of Taitung
Taitung County is the third largest county in Taiwan canvassing an area of 3,515 square kilometers. It is located south of the Tropic of Cancer and faces east of the Pacific Ocean. With a population of over 105,000 people, it is the country’s least populated county with half of its population living in Taitung City.
Taitung can be divided into six regions: The East Rift Valley, the East Coastline, the South-Link Line, the South-Link Mountain Line, Taitung City, and the Offshore Islands
• The East Rift Valley sits on high terrains. Its broad high plains are made up of agricultural farm lands.
• The East Coastline is located east of the Coastal Range with 90 kilometers stretching from north to south all facing the Pacific Ocean. This region is made up of mostly mountain terrains.
• The South-Link Line is located to the south of Zhiben River. This region faces east towards the Pacific Ocean and is inhabited by many indigenous ethnic tribes.
• The South-Link Mountain Line sits along the Central Mountain Range. It is a good place for hiking and has many hot springs.
•Taitung City Area has the highest population density in the county, converging a diverse culture and many historical buildings.Here you can find a variety of delicious local food.
• Green Island and Orchid Island are famous for their rich natural sceneries. Both are popular holiday destinations with world-class diving.