What documents are needed for renting a house?
- A photocopy of passport (of the page with your photo and all personal information as well as the page listing your emergency contact information.)
- Photocopy of Alien Resident Certificate(ARC).
- A photocopy of the certification for your work permit, and the contact information of the company and the company executive of your Taiwanese employer.
- Foreigners currently not working in Taiwan will need to sign a contract and provide information for a Taiwanese Cosigner.
- Both Chinese-English versions of Tenancy Agreement.
The process of renting a house?
- First determine the area you want to live in and find a house in that area.
- Determine the size and type of house you wish to rent.
- Search real estate web pages, or visit a local real estate company to find your favorite house.
- Bring the required documents, sign the lease and pay the deposit.
What do renters need to pay attention to?
- You are advised to compare different websites, agency fees, and cost for rents according to the type of housing you prefer.
- You are advised to personally visit a potential rental unit to ensure the property and its surroundings to make sure there are no discrepancies with your expectations.
- According to Article 99 of the Land Act, the deposit paid for renting a house should not exceed 2 months’ rent of the unit.
- You are advised to read all the fine lines to the provisions of the agreement before signing the rental agreement with the landlord.
- When signing a contract, if a signature is used instead of a personal seal/official stamp, the signature must be the same as on one’s passport.