Traveling to Taitung – By Bus
Taiwan is a county where cars drive on the right-hand side of the road. Driving in Taitung is easy and convenient.
Depart from northern Taiwan
Driving from Taipei – take the Hsuehshan Tunnel, will take about one hour to Yilan, another two hours on Suhua Highway. From Hualien to Taitung, drive along Provincial Highway No. 9 to reach the Taitung Mountain Line area, which takes around 2-3 hours;
Drive along Provincial Highway No. 11 to reach the Taitung East Coast area or Taitung City. It takes about 2-3 hours. In total, it takes about 6 hours to drive from Taipei to Taitung.
Depart from southern Taiwan
Starting from Kaohsiung, you will pass through the beautiful scenery of the Taiwan Strait from Fangliao to Fenggang in Pingtung County. Continue along Provincial Highway No. 9 from the south to Taitung City. The journey takes around three hours.
Departing from Tainan, take Provincial Highway No. 20 (Southern Cross-Island Highway). When you arrive at Haiduan, Chishang, transfer to other areas in Taitung. The whole journey takes about four hours.
Depart from central and western Taiwan
Depart from Taichung. Take the Central Cross-island Highway (available from 2023), connect to Provincial Highway No. 8 to Hualien, and then take Provincial Highway No. 9 or No. 11 to Taitung. The whole journey around takes 3-4 hours;
If you are located in the south, such as Nantou and Chiayi, you can start from Tainan, and drive along Provincial Highway No. 20 (Southern Cross-island Highway). Go through the Daguan Mountain Tunnel to Haiduan, and then continue driving along Provincial Highway No. 9 down to Taitung City.
If you like to drive, driving is one of the most convenient ways to explore the city.
There are many car rental locations in the city.
Take the long, straight Provincial Highway no.11 to enjoy the gorgeous mountain views and country fields. Or, follow the curvy Provincial highway no.9 to embrace the endless coastline and deep blue sea. Come rent a car and hit the road! Adventure is waiting for you.
- Taipei ←→ Taitung (Provincial Hwy No.9) 344km
- Taipei ←→ Taitung (Provincial Hwy No.11) 343km
- Pingtung Fonggang ←→ Taitung (South-Link Hwy) 99km
- Tainan ←→ Taitung (Southern Cross-Island Hwy) 250km
- Inquiry Hotline for Highway Condition: 02-23113456#1968
- Police Broadcasting Service: 02-23888099
- Free Hotline Provided by the Police Broadcasting Service: 0800-000123
- Be aware of falling rocks and frequent fog on Su Hua Highway and South-Link Highway. Please drive carefully and reduce speed.
- It is easy and handy to drive in Taitung since the roads in the city are wide and with less traffic. Please be aware of speed camera locations and speed limit signs. drive carefully to avoid accidents. Please also be aware of falling rocks and frequent fog, and watch out for wildlife. Please drive carefully and pay attention to your speed.